Philips Air Fryer Review: A Good Small Oil-less Fryer to Feed 2-3 People
The Philips Air Fryer, the Original Air Fryer with Bonus 150+ Recipe Cookbook, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, is a relatively compact fryer with a 1.75 pound capacity. That means that it’s big enough to cook one large bag of fries, making it a good choice for feeding small groups or cooking one side for a slightly larger group.
The Philips Air fryer can do more than just fry – it grills, roasts, steams and even bakes.
How the Philips Air Fryer Works
There are a lot of air fryers on the market, and they all work on the same basic principle. It may be helpful to think of the Philips Air Fryer as a compact convection oven. Instead of circulating food in hot oil, adding fat and cholesterol to the finished product, the Philips Air Fryer circulates hot air.
When you cook food in the Philips Air Fryer, you have the option of brushing it lightly with oil first or simply putting it in the basket as is. A little oil is all that’s needed, but using some may give you results with a flavor closer to that of traditional fried food.
The Philips Air Fryer has a unique, patented Starfish Design in its basket that guarantees even distribution of cooking and perfect results every time. This model has been endorsed by celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey, who called it “my own little sous chef that doesn’t talk back.”
Philips Air Fryer Features
Before you buy any small appliance, it’s important to understand what you’re getting. Here’s what to expect with the Philips Air Fryer:
- 1.75 pound capacity
- Cooks with 75% less oil than a traditional fryer
- Dishwasher safe (except the engine) and easy to clean
- Small enough to sit on your countertop
- Patented Starfish design ensures even cooking every time
- 150 recipes come with the fryer, including 5 custom recipes from Gordon Ramsey himself
This unit weighs in at just over 16 pounds, meaning that it’s light enough to move around if necessary. This fryer is relatively new on the market, and first became available for sale on Amazon in October of 2016.
Pros and Cons of the Philips Air Fryer
As is the case with any product, there are pros and cons to keep in mind before making the decision to purchase the Philips Air Fryer.
Let’s start with the pros:
- Cooks traditional fried foods, including French fries, chicken wings, samosas, and more, with 25% (or less) of the oil typically needed. That means you can enjoy your favorites for fewer calories than ever before, and without having to worry about what eating them is doing to your cholesterol level.
- Small unit can fit in almost any kitchen without a problem. It measures 13.8” by 13.8” by 15.1”, so even if you have a kitchenette you can probably find space for it.
- The Philips Air Fryer comes apart easily and is almost entirely dishwasher safe. The only part that can’t be put into the dishwasher is the motor, and that you can wiped clean.
- Minimal smell and mess compared to a traditional deep fat fryer. Because you add (at most) a small brushing of oil, you don’t have to deal with oil splatters or the smell of burnt grease that often accompanies fried foods.
Great for cooking side dishes or small batches of your favorite foods.
Now, in the interest of reviewing the product thoroughly, let’s look at the cons:
- This is a small unit, so if you have a large family or group to feed, you will most likely have to cook the food you intend to serve in batches.
- Foods that are naturally high in fat, such as bacon and sausages, may end up creating a bit of smoke and smell as the fat is rendered out of the food. It’s important to keep that in mind, especially if you’re using the Philips Air Fryer in a small space.
- While this unit can cook battered foods, the coating drips off the food and can create a mess. You’ll have to use a very light coating of batter.
The primary argument against this cooker is its small size, but if you’re cooking for a small group you probably won’t want to invest in a large unit. However, if you have a large family or anticipate cooking a high volume of food, you may want to consider a larger unit such as the Big Boss 1300 Watt Oil-less Fryer, which has a 16 quart capacity.
The Bottom Line
The Philips Air Fryer, The Original Air Fryer with Bonus 150+ Recipe Cookbook, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, effectively cooks traditional fried foods with minimal oil and fuss. It’s a good unit for small families or people who want the option of air frying small batches of their favorites.